Sep 24, 2021
FSC 289 - Current Issues in Fire Science 2 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 3 lab periods
Study of current issues in the fire service. Includes developing and writing an independent, applied research project, utilizing various computer applications for formatting and design, and use of the Internet and library resources.
Recommendation: WRT 101 or an equivalent AGEC course that prepares student to complete the independent research project which requires college level writing skills.
Information: Completion of twenty credits in FSC prefix courses is required before enrolling in this course.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate a familiarity with a variety of research methodologies.
- Develop a research topic based on a fire service issue.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Conduct an independent applied research project utilizing an American Psychological Association (APA) format.
- Identify a critical issue within the fire service as determined by previous experience and/or course work.
- Conduct a meta-analysis of relevant source material on the stated issue.
- Write an applied research paper according to predetermined formatting guidelines.
- Provide recommendations for addressing the stated issue.
- Demonstrate a familiarity with a variety of research methodologies, including the library and internet.
- Demonstrate the ability to use basic computer applications, including word processing and data bases, to format and compose an applied research paper.
- Differentiate levels of validity and credibility of source material.
- Identify legitimate and credible source material.
- Evaluate the quality of various types of source material.
- Develop a logical hypothesis based upon the findings.
- Defend the findings and recommendations of the final report.
- Discuss the validity of individual research methods.
- Discuss the logic of the analysis of the source material.
- Discuss the applicability of the final recommendations.
- Purpose of Research
- Discovery and interpretation of data
- Interpretation of facts and critical thinking
- What is ‘applied’ research?
- Professionalism – What does it mean?
- Discussion of research methods
- Descriptive – Meta-analysis
- Review of Pima Community College home page and access
- Computer applications utilized in formatting a research paper
- Word Processor
- Computer applications utilized in analyzing and manipulating data
- Data Base
- Research Resources
- National Fire Academy Learning Center
- Identifying valid and credible source material
- Review relevant source sites
- Organizing source material
- Developing a research paper
- Table of Contents
- Problem statement
- Purpose statement
- Research questions and hypothesis
- Literature Review
- Citing sources
- Summarizing sources
- Procedures and Methodology
- Analyzing data
- Manipulating data
- Interpreting results
- Comprehensive analysis of the data
- Compare and contrast different source findings
- Provide implications to the fire service
- Logically relates to the research
- Feasibility of application
- Proper formatting of source material
Full Academic Year 2018/19
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)