Dec 09, 2022
ESL 080PR - Pronunciation III 2 Credits, 2 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Pronunciation for non-native English speakers at the advanced level. Includes word stress and vowel reduction, sentence stress and rhythm, and intonation and phrasing.
Prerequisite(s): ESL 070CM with a C or better, or required score on ESL assessment test.
Recommendation: Concurrent enrollment in ESL Oral Communication course (CM).
Information: Prerequisite(s) may be waived with consent of instructor. See an ESL instructor for details.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Use appropriate advanced-level stress and vowel reduction in words and phrases.
- Utilize appropriate advanced-level sentence stress and rhythm.
- Apply appropriate advanced-level intonation and phrasing.
- Word Stress and Vowel Reduction
- Multisyllabic words and suffixes
- Parts of speech and word forms
- Compound nouns
- Phrasal verbs
- Sentence Stress and Rhythm
- Content words and function words
- Normal focus
- Contrastive stress and special focus
- Intonation and Phrasing
- Review of basic intonation patterns
- Emotions, attitudes, focus, emphasis, and/or intent
- Conclusion and endings
- Elisions and sound changes in linking
- Thought groups and phrasing
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)