Jan 21, 2022
ESL 080CM - Oral Communication for Non-Native Speakers of English III 4 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
4 lecture periods 0 lab periods
High intermediate-level communication skills for increased fluency and comprehension. Includes listening comprehension and retention, speaking and academic presentations, and communicative appropriateness.
Prerequisite(s): Placement into ESL 080CM; or completion of ESL 070CM and ESL 060RV and ESL 060WG with a C or better; or placement into ESL 70 level and completion of ESL 070CM with a C or better.
Recommendation: Concurrent enrollment in an ESL Reading and Vocabulary course (RV) and an ESL Writing and Grammar course (WG) according to previous course completion or ESL assessment test score.
Information: Prerequisites may be waived with consent of instructor. See an ESL instructor for details.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate comprehension of oral passages at the high-intermediate level.
- Demonstrate appropriate speaking skills at the high-intermediate level.
- Demonstrate comprehension and retention of oral passages through high intermediate oral and written tasks, including basic note-taking.
- Plan, organize, and present informal and basic academic presentations.
- Use appropriate register, functions, and non-verbal communication in presentations and discussions.
- Use context to learn and use new academic vocabulary appropriately.
- Listening Comprehension and Retention
- Introduction to note taking
- Pre-listening tasks
- Identify purpose
- Make predictions
- Listen for main ideas and details
- Use critical thinking skills
- Draw inferences and conclusions
- Recognize and differentiate between facts and opinions
- Identify speakers, setting, register, and tone
- Identify positive and negative connotations
- Use context and grammatical clues to aid comprehension
- Speaking and Academic Presentations
- Discussion functions
- Short, informal presentations
- Introduction to academic presentations
- Fluency and intelligibility
- Communicative Appropriateness
- Non-verbal communication
Full Academic Year 2019/2020
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)