Sep 27, 2023
EDC 276 - Secondary Methods: Math/Science 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Instructional methods in Mathematics and Science for the secondary teacher. Includes considerations in instructional design related to mathematics and science such as the Essential Elements of Instruction (EEI), learning objectives, scaffolding instruction, cross-curricular instruction, differentiated instruction, assessment, instructional strategies, learning theories, identifying technology resources, Arizona College and Career Ready Standards, and Arizona Science Standards/Next Generation Science Standards. Also includes factors impacting student learning and achievement such as teacher bias, socio-economic status, gender, language, culture, special needs, teacher expectations, motivation, engagement, and classroom management.
Information: Post-Degree Teacher Certification Program approval is required before enrolling in this course.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Identify domains and concepts that are central to the discipline (Math or Science). (Interstate Teacher Assessment and Support Consortium (InTASC) 4)
- Use the Standards Continuum Guide for Reflective Teaching Practice to self-assess content knowledge and application related to Math/Science. (InTASC 4)
- Describe the ways in which cross-curricular instruction and 21st century learning skills can be integrated into Math/Science. (InTASC 5; International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) 2)
- Identify a variety of methods to informally and formally assess student learning in Math/Science. (InTASC 6)
- Describe how formal assessments drive instructional decisions in Math/Science and identify strategies for engaging learners in analyzing their own data. (InTASC 6)
- Describe strategies for differentiated instruction in Math/Science. (InTASC 7)
- Develop standards-based lessons and objectives for Math/Science using Essential Elements of Instruction (EEI). (InTASC 7)
- Discuss and analyze current and relevant social, cultural, and academic trends in general education and how they impact lesson planning. (InTASC 7)
- Identify effective instructional strategies for Math/Science. (InTASC 8)
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)