Dec 07, 2021
DLT 106LB - Orthodontic Appliances Lab 1 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
0 lecture periods 3 lab periods
This is the Lab portion of DLT 106 . Construction and theory of simple orthodontic appliances. Includes evaluation of preliminary impressions and fabrication of orthodontic study models, model trimming and evaluation, classification of occlusion and malocclusion types, tooth numbering systems and identification. Also includes, wrought wire fabrication, application of wire bending skills, fabrication of removable tooth retaining and moving appliances, and fixed space maintaining appliances.
Prerequisite(s): DLT 101 DLT 101LB or concurrent enrollment.
Corequisite(s): DLT 106
Information: Consent of program director is required before enrolling in this course.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the ability to perform all laboratory steps involved in the fabrication and repair of both fixes and removable orthodontic appliances.
- Demonstrate how to pour, trim, polish, and evaluate orthodontic study models.
- Classify malocclusion and occlusion types.
- Interpret orthodontic prescriptions.
- Locate specified teeth on permanent, deciduous, and mixed dentition models.
- Perform construction of six (6) wire-bending exercises.
- Identify, describe, and fabricate various components of orthodontic appliances (i.e. arch wires, clasps, springs).
- Construct a maxillary or mandibular retainer with labial or lingual arch wires and duplicate the model(s).
- Design maxillary and mandibular appliances and bend the arch wires.
- Demonstrate how to fit bands and solder the arch wires.
- Design, fabricate, and finish auto-polymerizing acrylic anchorage for various removable orthodontic appliances.
- Perform various repairs of auto-polymerizing acrylic anchorage.
- Design, fabricate, and finish a single banded space maintainer.
- Classify the different types of orthodontic appliances.
- Evaluation of Preliminary Impressions and Fabrication of Orthodontic Study Models
- Interpretation of orthodontic prescriptions and work authorizations
- Infection control and disinfecting procedures
- Impression evaluation
- Gypsum materials selection, manipulation, and safety procedures
- Orthodontic Study Model Trimming and Evaluation
- Orthodontic model trimmer operation and safety procedures
- Polishing orthodontic study models
- Classification of Occlusion and Malocclusion Types
- Class I or normal
- Class II or retrognathic
- Class III or prognathic
- Tooth Numbering Systems and Tooth Identification
- Palmer and universal tooth number systems
- Adult, deciduous, and mixed dentition
- Introduction to Wrought Wire Fabrication
- Orthodontic wire selection, manipulation, and safety procedures
- Pliers selection
- Wire cutting
- Wire finishing
- Crystalline structure and metal fatigue
- Six (6) wire bending exercises
- Application of Wire Bending Skills
- Identification and categorization of orthodontic appliances
- Identification of various wrought wire components of orthodontic appliances
- Fabrication of various wrought wire components of orthodontic appliances
- Arch wires
- Fabrication of Removable Tooth Retaining and Tooth Moving Appliances
- Contour various types of arch wires, clasps, and springs to fit model
- Secure wrought wire components to model
- Prepare model for formation of acrylic anchoring
- Auto-polymerizing acrylic resin manipulation and safety procedures
- Fabrication and finishing of auto-polymerizing acrylic resin anchorage
- Perform various auto-polymerizing acrylic repairs
- Fabrication of Fixed Space Maintaining Appliances
- Selection and seating of preformed band
- Contour wrought wire cantilever loop for space maintainer
- Position components for soldering
- Prepare soldering matrix
- Soldering safety procedures
- Flux and solder space maintainer
- Recover, finish, and polish space maintainer
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)