Jan 27, 2023
DHE 150 - Dental Hygiene II 2 Credits, 2 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Continuation of DHE 101 /DHE 101LC Application of dental hygiene skills with a variety of clinical patients with simple dental hygiene care plans. Includes instrument review, evidence-based decision making and treatment planning, medical emergency management review, special needs patients, powered instruments, air powder polishing and stain removal, care of dental prostheses, advanced instrumentation and alternate fulcrums, tobacco cessation, subgingival irrigation, and antimicrobials. Also includes dental implant instruments, case studies, table clinics, and laboratory procedures.
Prerequisite(s): DHE 101 , DHE 101LC , DHE 104 , DHE 104LB , DHE 107 , DHE 112 , and DHE 116LC .
Corequisite(s): DHE 119 , DHE 120 , DHE 122 , DHE 132 , DHE 132LB , DHE 150LB , DHE 150LC
Information: Students must be admitted to the PCC Dental Hygiene program and obtain consent of the Dental Hygiene department before enrolling in this course.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behavior in patient care.
- Apply asepsis protocol of recommended clinical guidelines for infection control and hazard management prior, during and after the provision of dental hygiene services.
- Demonstrate proper body mechanics techniques for optimal operator and patient comfort.
- Identify appropriate instruments for patients with varying dental needs.
- Assess patient’s needs for preventive, educational and therapeutic dental hygiene clinical services and interpret dental radiographs for dental disease.
- Describe evidence-based decision making principles and clinical reasoning to patient care plans.
- Integrate, synthesize, and evaluate oral health services of diverse patient population groups through community service learning activities.
- Apply knowledge of powered instruments, application of dental sealants, practice of medical emergency procedures, and computer applications and record documentation to effectively manage patient care.
- Instrument Review
- Evidence Based Decision Making and Treatment Planning
- Medical Emergency Management Review
- Introduction to Special Needs Patients
- Powered Instruments
- Air Powder Polishing and Stain Removal
- Care of Dental Prosthesis
- Instrumentation and Alternate Fulcrums
- Tobacco Cessation
- Subgingival Irrigation
- Dental Implant Instruments
- Case Studies
- Table Clinics
- Laboratory Procedures
- Air-jet polisher
- Assembly monitoring of sterilizers
- Biologic monitoring of sterilizers
- Desensitizing agents
- Cleaning of removal partials/dentures
- Implant instrument identification
- Intra-oral camera armentarium
- Subgingival irrigation techniques – antimicrobials
- Instrument sharpening
- Ultrasonic and piezo powered instruments
- Midwest Caries ID pen
- Caries risk assessment
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)