DNC 269 - Dance Ensemble
3 Credits, 6 Contact Hours
0 lecture periods 6 lab periods
Practical experience in all aspects for taking a dance piece from basic choreography and creating a professional performance. Includes rehearsal/performance process, responsibilities of a performer and/or a choreographer, performance skills, choreographic review; costuming, make-up, sets, and props; publicity, and analysis of the concert.
Prerequisite(s): DNC 150 or DNC 166 or DNC 219 .
Information: Consent of instructor is required before enrolling in this course. May be taken two times for a maximum of six credit hours. If this course is repeated, see a financial aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe the rehearsal/performance process used in professional settings.
- Describe the performer’s responsibilities in a professional setting.
- Demonstrate performance skills.
- Demonstrate, retain, and perform choreography for a dance concert.
- Discuss and demonstrate choreographic review.
- Explore dance costuming, use of makeup, sets, and props.
- Create PSA’s (public service announcements), press releases, photo shoots, television ads, posters and flyers, and other publicity.
- Analyze concert performance and choreography.
- Rehearsal/Performance Process
- Audition process
- Preliminary rehearsals
- Technical rehearsals
- Dress rehearsals
- Post-performance process
- Responsibilities of a Performer
- During rehearsal
- Mental focus
- Professional image
- Responsibilities of a Choreographer During Rehearsal
- Performance Skills
- Choreographic Review
- Elements of choreographic review
- Choreographer’s responsibilities with choreographic review
- Class responsibilities with choreographic review
- Costuming, Make-Up, Sets, and Props
- Costuming for dance
- Special effects
- Public Service Announcements (PSA’s)
- Press releases
- Photo shoots
- Television ads
- Posters and flyers
- Analysis of the Concert
- Production process
- Concert process
- Performance process
- Choreography process
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)