CUL 153 - Cakes
1 Credits, 1.5 Contact Hours
.5 lecture periods 1 lab period
Introduction to the art of cake baking. Includes the ingredients, preparation, and baking of cakes. Also includes icings, decorations, and fillings.
Prerequisite(s): CUL 105 and CUL 140 .
Course Learning Outcomes
1. Explain the process, tools, and ingredients used to prepare cakes.
2. Identify basic types of cake ingredients, preparation tools, and mixing methods.
3. Prepare cakes using commercial baking equipment.
4. Prepare various icings, fillings, and decorations.
5. Evaluate cakes to determine quality levels.
6. Demonstrate proper production plating and presentation techniques.
- Cake Preparation
- Baking terms
- Baking ingredients and function
- Baking tools, utensils, and equipment
- Preparation principles
- Basic cake mixing methods
- Application of mixes and other value added products
- Cake Batter and Baking
- Panning cake batter
- Baking and cooling procedures
- Icing the Cake
- Basic types of icing, decorations, and fillings
- Icing, decorations, and filling preparation
- Evaluation of Cakes, Icings, Decorations, and Fillings
- Plating and Presentation Techniques
Full Academic Year 2017/18
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)