Oct 27, 2021
CIS 299 - Advanced Co-op: Computer Information Systems 1 Credits, 1 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 0 lab periods
A supervised cooperative work program for students in related occupation area. Teacher-coordinators work with students and their supervisors. Variable credit is available by special arrangement.
Corequisite(s): CIS 299WK
Information: May be taken two times for a maximum of two credit hours. If this course is repeated, see a financial aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Discuss the need for skills in oral and written communication and the importance to job success.
- Describe the techniques for managing time and energy for job efficiency.
- Identify stress in work situations and begin to develop techniques for coping with stress.
- Find and related information on some career field to career goals.
- Write a resume and plan an employment interview (real or simulated) and observe (real or filmed) or successfully complete such experiences (s), where available.
- Identify some basic principles and theories learned in courses completed, and apply them to problems encountered in real work situations.
- Identify problems which arise in work situations and develop some techniques for successful solution to them.
- Communication Skills
- Importance in job success
- Oral skills developed
- Written skills developed
- Time and Energy Management
- Identifying resources and their uses
- Techniques for managing, for job efficiency
- Stress and Its Management
- Types of job stress
- Causes of stress
- Characteristics of stress
- Techniques for managing job stress
- Careers: Information and Its Uses
- Review of careers in field of study
- Sources of career information
- Uses of career information
- Career objectives
- Career plans
- Placing Yourself on the Job Market
- Identifying varied job markets
- Selecting job markets appropriate to your potential
- Aspects of presenting oneself on the market
- Job information
- Resume writing
- Backing up the resume
- The interview
- Principles, Theories, and Practices in the Career Field
- Application in the work situation
- Ongoing discussion
- Understanding through application
- Problems in the Work Situation
- Problem (types) identified
- Ways of dealing with problems encountered – ongoing discussion each session
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)