Jun 07, 2023
CIS 225 - Linux System and Network Administration 3 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 2 lab periods
Skills needed to extend, automate, and better secure an existing Linux deployment. Includes advanced file-system management capabilities, security controls, and firewall configuration. Also includes system optimization techniques improved storage management.
Prerequisite(s): CIS 137
Information: Combined with CIS 137, this course helps prepare students to take the Red Hat Certified System Exam. This course is equivalent to RH 134.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Setup Red Hat Enterprise Linux using Kickstart,
- Manage file systems and logical volumes.
- Manage scheduled jobs.
- Setup network file systems.
- Manage SELinux.
- Manage firewalls.
- Explain troubleshooting steps.
- Automate Installations Using Kickstart
- Defining an Anaconda Kickstart system
- Deploying a new virtual system with Kickstart
- Regular Expressions
- Regular expression fundamentals
- Matching text with grep
- Creating and Editing Text Files with vim
- vim workflow
- Editing files with vim
- Manage Scheduled Jobs
- Schedule one time tasks with at
- Schedule recurring tasks with cron
- Viewing and editing system tasks
- Prioritizing Linux Processes
- Scheduler policies
- Using the nice command
- Controlling Access with Access Control Lists
- POSIX access control lists
- Securing files with ACLs
- SELinux Security
- Enabling and monitoring modes
- Changing modes
- Changing contexts
- Changing booleans
- Troubleshooting SELinux
- Using Network-Defined Users and Groups
- Using Identity Management Services
- Joining a system to IPA
- Joining a system to Active Directory
- Managing Storage
- Adding disks, partitions, and files systems
- Logical Volume Management Storage
- Managing Logical Volumes
- Extending Logical Volumes
- Access network storage with NFS
- Manually mounting NFS storage
- Automounting NFS storage
- Access Network Storage with SMB
- Controlling and Troubleshooting the Boot Process
- Repairing common boot issues
- Repairing file systems at boot
- Correcting boot loader issues
- Control Firewalls with Firewalld
- Limiting network communication
- Enabling and Disabling the Firewall
Full Academic Year 2021/22
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)