Dec 01, 2021
CIS 218 - Introduction to Voice over IP (VoIP) 4 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
4 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Introduction to the concepts of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) from the history to expected future uses in the workplace and home. Includes an overview, digital voice fundamentals, standards, how an Internet Protocol (IP) phone call works, protocols and structure, relationship to the Open Standards Interconnection (OSI) model, gateways, quality of service, and router concerns.
Recommendation: Completion of CIS 119 or have networking experience before enrolling in this course. If any recommended course is taken, see a Financial Aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Explain and design basic Internet Protocol (IP) networks.
- Discuss basic concepts associated with telephony.
- Describe the advantages of using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) relative to the Plain Old Telephone System (POTS).
- Explain the hardware and software used in VoIP networks.
- Describe important protocols used in VoIP and their relationship to the Open Standards Interconnection (OSI) Model.
- Demonstrate the ability to set up a simple VoIP system.
- Discuss problem areas within VoIP systems.
- Identify quality of service (QoS) parameters within VoIP systems.
- Discuss future possibilities/uses within communications.
- Overview of Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- Industry o0verview
- Internet Protocol (IP) telephony
- The lure of VoIP
- Basic equipment and network
- Model for IP telephony
- Digital Voice Fundamentals
- Basic telephony overview
- Packet voice fundamentals
- Circuit/packet switched comparison
- Standards for VoIP
- How an IP Phone Call Works
- VoIP Protocols and Structure
- Relationship of VoIP to the Open Standards Interconnection (OSI) Seven-Layer Model
- Application layer issues
- H.225 and H.245
- Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
- VoIP Gateways
- Gateway functions
- Necessity of gateways
- Gateway components and features
- Quality of Service (QoS) in VoIP
- Defining QoS
- QoS parameters
- QoS and the network
- VoIP Router Concerns
- The Future of VoIP
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)