CAD 142 - Introduction to Parametric Modeling: SolidWorks
4 Credits, 6 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Beginning level parametric modeling mechanical concepts, techniques, and problems using SolidWorks software. Includes parametric modeling, working drawings and assemblies.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Communicate the fundamentals of the SolidWorks environment.
- Construct parametric part models using SolidWorks.
- Create parametric assembly models.
- Create detailed design documentation for parts and assemblies.
- SolidWorks Environment and Introduction to Parametric Modeling
- SolidWorks screen layout
- Mouse buttons
- Cancelling commands
- Units setup
- Viewing functions and tools
- Design tree
- Parametric Part Modeling Techniques
- Feature based parametric modeling
- Modeling strategy
- Creating sketches
- Creating geometric relationships
- Apply dimensions
- Create base feature
- Add extruded boss or cut features
- Parent and child relationships
- Introduce GD&T symbology
- Parametric Assembly Modeling Techniques
- Insert parts into assembly
- Create mate relationships
- Introduce motion studies
IV. Detail and Assembly Documentation
- Introduce first and third angle projection
- Create drawing Views: Standard, Auxiliary, Detail, and Sections
- Place dimensions and GD&T symbology
- Bill of Materials and Ballooning
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)