Dec 03, 2021
BCT 148 - Cabinetmaking I 3 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Concepts and procedures for fine woodworking practices. Includes introduction to cabinetmaking, cabinetry styles, human factors, working drawings, lumber and millwork, manufactured panel products, veneers and plastic overlays, hardware, health and safety, measuring and laying out materials, stationary power machines, hand and portable power tools, surfacing and shaping, and building a basic cabinet.
Prerequisite(s): BCT 146 or concurrent enrollment.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe the design and material decisions necessary to produce cabinetry.
- Describe the differences between traditional, provincial, and contemporary designs.
- Apply design elements and principles to create functional and attractive cabinets.
- List the parts of a working drawing.
- Describe the process of harvesting, drying, and ordering lumber.
- Explain the use of various panel products for cabinets and fine furniture.
- Match veneer sheets into pleasing patterns for inlaying or overlaying.
- Explain various methods of installing door and drawer hardware.
- Explain how to reduce or eliminate hazardous and unsafe conditions around machines and equipment.
- Demonstrate proper use of marking, measuring, and layout tools.
- Demonstrate proper operation of stationary power saws.
- Demonstrate proper use of hand and portable power tools.
- Demonstrate surfacing and shaping with the jointer, planer, and shaper.
- Produce a basic face frame style cabinet.
- Introduction to Cabinetmaking
- Design decisions
- Material decisions
- Producing cabinetry
- Cabinetry Styles
- Traditional styles
- Provincial styles
- Contemporary styles
- Human Factors
- Standing dimensions
- Sitting dimensions
- Working Drawings
- Types of drawings
- Reading shop drawings
- Reading specifications
- Lumber and Millwork
- Ordering lumber
- Manufactured Panel Products
- Structural wood panels
- Appearance panels
- Working with panel products
- Veneers and Plastic Overlays
- Matching veneers
- Veneer inlays
- Plastic overlays
- Pulls and knobs
- Door hardware
- Drawer hardware
- Health and Safety
- Unsafe acts
- Hazardous conditions
- Personal protective equipment
- Measuring and Laying Out Materials
- Marking tools
- Measuring tools
- Layout practices
- Stationary Power Machines
- Table saw and radial arm saw
- Band saw and router
- Jig saw
- Hand and Portable Power Tools
- Sawing by hand
- Portable power saws
- Maintaining hand and portable power saws
- Surfacing and Shaping
- Reading wood grain
- Building a Basic Cabinet
- Planning and designing
- Material selection
- Producing a cabinet
- Finishing a cabinet
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)