Dec 03, 2021
BCT 134 - Residential and Industrial HVAC III 4 Credits, 6 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 4 lab periods
Continuation of BCT 133 . Introduction to the principles of heat transfer, humidity, filtering, and energy saving devices used in HVAC systems. Includes accessories and optional equipment, metering devices, compressors, heat pumps, leak detection, evacuation, recovery, and charging.
Prerequisite(s): BCT 133 or concurrent enrollment.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Discuss accessories used such as energy conservation equipment, fire and smoke dampers, air purification systems, and the use of a manometer or differential pressure gauge to measure the friction loss of an air filter.
- Isolate and correct malfunctions in gas heating systems.
- Successfully troubleshoot selected problems in cooling equipment.
- Discuss heat pump classifications, operations, components, performance, installation, service, and analyze a heat pump control circuit.
- Identify steps in the handling of typical service call that will contribute to good customer relations.
- Demonstrate how to form, connect, and secure sheet metal duct.
- Demonstrate how to connect and secure flexible duct to rigid sheet metal duct.
- Introduction to Control Circuit Troubleshooting
- HVAC control systems
- Control circuit sequence of operation
- Using an organized approach to electrical troubleshooting
- HVAC system troubleshooting
- HVAC equipment input power, load and control circuits
- Electrical troubleshooting common to all HVAC equipment
- Motor and motor circuit troubleshooting
- Hydronic controls
- Pneumatic controls
- HVAC digital control systems
- Troubleshooting Gas Heating
- Control circuits
- Combustion systems
- Air system
- Troubleshooting Cooling
- Operation of the mechanical refrigeration (cooling) system
- Electrical control of mechanical cooling system operation
- Troubleshooting approach
- Electrical troubleshooting
- Mechanical refrigeration cycle troubleshooting
- Low charge or overcharge of refrigerant
- Evaporator and condenser airflow problems
- Compressor problems and causes
- Metering device troubleshooting
- Troubleshooting refrigerant lines and accessories
- Non-condensibles and contamination in a system
- Condensate water disposal problems
- Heat Pumps
- Heat pump classifications
- Heat pump operation
- Heat pump components
- Heat pump performance
- Balance point and supplementary heat
- Heat pump controls
- Basic Installation and Maintenance Practices
- Mechanical fasteners
- Belts and belt drives
- Coupling and direct drives
- Basic maintenance procedures
- Customer relation
- Customer communication
- Sheet Metal Duct Systems
- Steel and other metals
- Seams (locks)
- Hangers and supports
- Installing registers, grilles, and diffusers
- Dampers and access doors
- Zoning accessories and coils
- Fiberglass and Flexible Duct Systems
- Types and standards
- Advantages of modular duct construction
- Extended plenum supply system
- Closure systems
- Fabricating and joining a duct module
- Connecting ductboard to sheet metal
- Flexible round duct connections
- Hanging and supporting
- Repairing damage
Full Academic Year 2018/19
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)