Oct 20, 2021
BIO 100IN - Biology Concepts 4 Credits, 6 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Basic principles and concepts of biology. Includes methods of scientific inquiry, cell structure and chemistry, metabolism, reproduction, genetics, molecular biology evolution, and ecology and current issues in biology.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - SCI; Meets CTE - M&S.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Utilize scientific methods to formulate and answer questions.
- Apply biological principles to current issues.
- Perform activities to demonstrate improvement in the general education goals of communication, critical thinking and mathematics.
- Describe characteristics of living organisms that distinguish them from non-living constituents of the biosphere.
- Utilize scientific methods to formulate and answer questions and discuss its strengths and limitations.
- Describe and explain the properties and roles of biologically important molecules, including proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, and nucleic acids.
- Describe the structure and function of cells and cellular components in single and multicellular organisms.
- Describe how energy is acquired and used by living organisms.
- Describe how traits are inherited and apply patterns of inheritance.
- Explain the molecular biology of genes and their expression.
- Describe potential impacts of genetic technologies on society.
- Explain possible origins of life on Earth and mechanism(s) of evolution that help us account for the amazing diversity of life we now find on our plant.
- Explain how the flow of energy through an ecosystem influences its structure.
- Describe how organisms interact with each other and their environment.
- Apply biological and ecological principles to discuss current issues in human health, and human impact on the environment.
- The Nature and Science of Biology
- Characteristics of living things
- Scientific processes
- The Chemical and Cellular Basis of Life
- Fundamentals of general and organic chemistry
- Cellular structure and function
- Energy pathways
- Principles of Inheritance
- Cellular life cycles
- Patterns of inheritance
- Molecular Biology
- DNA structure and function
- Genetic technologies and society
- Evolution and Diversity of Life
- Principles of evolution
- Diversity of life
- Organismal structure and function
- Principles of Ecology
- Current Issues in Biology
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)