AUT 142 - Automotive Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning 3 Credits, 7 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 6 lab periods
Diagnosis and repair of automotive heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems. Includes personal and environmental safety, HVAC systems components, air conditioning (AC) diagnosis and repair, refrigeration system component diagnosis and repair, heating and engine cooling systems diagnosis and repair, operating systems and controls diagnosis and repair, and refrigerant recovery, recycling, and handling.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate understanding of air conditioning (A/C) theory, components, operation, controls, and diagnosis using pressures and temperatures.
- Perform reclaim/evacuate/recharge procedures using an air conditioning (A/C) reclaimer.
- Perform inspection and removal/replacement procedures of hoses, fixed orifice tube (FOT), and compressor.
- Perform inspection of heating/cooling system cases/ducts, and demonstrate understanding of can tap procedures.
- Perform air conditioning (A/C) performance testing procedures on an Infiniti vehicle.
- Perform front/rear air conditioning (A/C) performance testing procedures on Chevrolet Suburban and rear A/C component removal/replacement procedures.
- Perform air conditioning (A/C) performance testing procedures on a Jeep Grand Cherokee and demonstrate use of a scan tool for A/C data retrieval.
- Perform air conditioning (A/C) performance testing procedures of an automatic temperature control system on a Volvo vehicle.
- Personal and Environmental Safety
- Hazard Communication Title 29; Code of Federal Regulation Part 1910.1200, “Right to Know Law”
- Clothing and personal protection devices
- Fire extinguisher and alarm location and use
- Material Safety Data Sheets location and application
- Supplemental restraints de-activation during repairs
- Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Systems Components
- Heating system components
- Ventilation system components
- Air Conditioning (A/C) system components
- Temperature/pressure relationships
- EPA Regulations
- Electrical circuit testing
- Pneumatic circuit testing
- Fluids and gases
- Air Conditioning (A/C) Diagnosis and Repair
- Diagnose unusual operating noises in A/C system and determine necessary action
- Identify refrigerant type, conduct a performance test of the A/C system and determine necessary action
- Leak test A/C system and determine necessary action
- Inspect the condition of discharged oil and determine the necessary action
- Select oil type and measure and add oil to the A/C system as needed
- Refrigeration System Component Diagnosis and Repair
- Compressor and clutch
- Diagnose A/C system problems that cause the protection devices (pressure, thermal, and PCM) to interrupt system operation and determine necessary action
- Inspect A/C drive belt and replace and adjust as necessary
- Inspect, test and replace A/C compressor clutch components or assembly
- Remove and replace compressor and mountings
- Identify evaporator, receiver/drier, condenser, etc.
- Determine need for A/C system filter; perform necessary action
- Remove and inspect A/C system mufflers, hoses, lines, fittings, o-rings, seals, and service valves and perform necessary action
- Inspect A/C condenser for airflow restrictions and perform necessary action
- Remove and install receiver/drier or accumulator/drier
- Remove and install expansion valve and orifice (expansion) tube
- Inspect evaporator housing water drain and perform necessary action
- Heating and Engine Cooling Systems Diagnosis and Repair
- Diagnose temperature control problems in the heater/ventilation system and determine necessary action
- Perform cooling system, cap, and recovery system tests (pressure, combustion leakage, and temperature) and determine necessary action
- Inspect engine cooling and heater system hoses and belts and perform necessary action
- Inspect, test, and replace thermostat and housing
- Determine coolant condition and drain and recover
- Flush system, refill with recommended coolant and bleed system
- Inspect and test fan, fan clutch (electrical and mechanical), fan shroud, and air dams and perform necessary action
- Inspect and test electrical fan control system and circuits
- Inspect and test heater control valve(s) and perform necessary action
- Operating Systems and Controls Diagnosis and Repair
- Diagnose the cause of failures in the electrical controls of heating and A/C systems and determine necessary repairs
- Inspect and test A/C heater blower, motors, resistors, switches, relays, wiring, and protection devices and repair or replace as needed
- Test A/C compressor cut-off systems and determine necessary repairs
- Vacuum and mechanical
- Diagnose the cause of failures in the vacuum and mechanical controls of the heating and A/C system and determine needed repairs
- Inspect and test A/C-heater control panel assembly
- Inspect and test A/C-heater control cables and linkages and adjust or replace as needed
- Inspect and test A/C-heater vacuum control switches, hoses, diaphragms (motors), vacuum reservoir check valve, and restrictors and replace as needed
- Inspect and test A/C-heater ducts, doors, hoses, and outlets and replace as needed
- Automatic and semi-automatic temperature controls
- Check operation of automatic and semi-automatic HVAC control systems
- Determine needed repairs
- Refrigerant Recovery, Recycling, and Handling
- Verify correct operation of refrigerant handling equipment
- Identify and recover A/C system refrigerant
- Recycle refrigerant
- Label and store refrigerant
- Test recycled refrigerant for non-condensable gases
- Evacuate and charge the A/C system
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)