Jan 28, 2022
AUT 129 - Automotive Electrical Accessories 3 Credits, 7 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 6 lab periods
Theory, operation, and diagnosis of accessory circuits on a modern vehicle. These include anti-theft, power windows/locks, sound and entertainment systems, airbag and supplemental restraints, electrical wiring repair, and utilizing in-depth repair software.
Prerequisite(s): AUT 128
Course Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the ability to diagnosis a vehicle’s security and anti-theft system.
- Demonstrate understanding and diagnosis of power windows, power locks, and other electrical accessories.
- Demonstrate understanding and diagnosis of automotive audio and entertainment systems.
- Demonstrate understanding and diagnosis of supplemental restraint systems (SRS), and R&R a steering wheel, clock spring, and airbag assembly.
- Repair and replace electrical wiring, connectors, and terminals.
- Perform the removal/replacement of a door panel.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Mitchel ProDemand service information software obtain a level 1 NC3 certification.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Mitchel ProDemand service information software and obtain a level 2 NC3 certification.
- Security Systems
- Overview and purpose of security systems
- Passive (mechanical) security systems
- Active (electronic) security systems
- Common system designs (hall-effect, transponder, and resistor chip)
- Diagnostic procedures
- Pulling codes and observing live data with diagnostic scanner
- ProDemand Service Information
- Find vehicle repair procedures and specifications
- Utilize SureTrack to assist in diagnostic procedures
- Use integrated repair order function to streamline repair information
- Navigate and understand interactive wiring diagrams
- Headlight Aiming
- Fundamentals of light balance
- How to find an accurate level
- Utilizing alignment equipment to level headlights
- Wiring Mock-up
- Circuit types and components of a circuit: parallel, series, and combination
- Circuit design and grounding
- Wiring up and testing a complete automotive lighting system
- Electrical Connection and Terminal Replacement
- Terminal types
- Replacement of terminals and connections
- Door Panel Removal and Replacement (R&R)
- Removal of door panel
- Panel inspection and repair
- Accessing accessories behind the door panel
- Panel installation
- Accessory Diagnosis and Repair
- Diagnosis of slow, intermittent or no operation of motor driven accessory circuits on the following:
- Power: windows/ mirrors/door locks/seats/moon roofs and door panel R&R
- Diagnosis of causes and repair of poor, intermittent or no heated glass operation
- Diagnosis of causes and repair of cruise control circuit malfunction
- Diagnosis of causes and repair of supplemental restraint system (SRS) malfunction
- Supplemental Restraint Systems(SRS): Diagnosis/Repair & Component R&R, Safety, Electrical
- Disabling the SRS system
- Removal of steering wheel and airbag
- Instillation of steering wheel and airbag
- Enabling the SRS system
- Diagnosing SRS system codes and common failure symptoms.
- Safe work habits and proper lifting/carrying of materials
- Proper clothing and protective equipment
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA) regulations
- Fire extinguishers, exits and evacuation procedures
- Definition and effects of electricity
- Measurement and types of electricity: voltage (AC/DC); amperage; resistance
- Actions of electricity: heat generation; chemical reaction; magnetism and electromagnetism
- Circuit types and components of a circuit: parallel, series and combination parallel/series circuits
- Diagnostic testing: high (opens & loose connections) and low resistance faults (shorts & grounds); digital multimeters
Full Academic Year 2021/22
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)