Sep 27, 2021
ARC 181 - Global Positioning Systems Basics 1 Credits, 1 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 0 lab periods
Introduction to the use of Global Positioning Systems (GPS) receivers in a field setting for non-technical applications. Includes GPS vocabulary, operation, field data collection and data transfer. Also includes using equipment, resources and facilities of the Archaeology Centre.
Information: Same as ANT 181 /GIS 181 .
Course Learning Outcomes
- Set up GPS hardware.
- Initialize a GPS receiver for operation.
- Operate a GPS receiver in a field setting.
- Electronically and manually collect and record data.
- Transfer data to a personal computer.
- Global Positioning Systems (GPS) Terminology and Concepts
- Overview of Positioning and Locating Systems
- Overview of the use of Longitude and Latitude and UTM Coordinate Systems
- GPS Operation
- Hardware Configuration
- Data Logging
- Data Transfer
- Field Data
- Overview of GPS Features
- Electronic Recording
- Computer Procedures for Data Transfer
- Usage of Archaeology Centre Resources
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)