Sep 27, 2023
ARB 101 - Elementary Modern Standard Arabic I 4 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
4 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Introduction to modern standard Arabic language. Includes modern standard Arabic alphabet, grammatical structures, interpersonal transactions, and cultural contexts. Also includes speaking, listening, reading, and writing of Arabic.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - OTHER; Meets CTE - A&H.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Pronounce sounds, letters, and words using the modern standard Arabic alphabet and write one-letter particles.
- Apply simple grammatical structures to daily communication.
- Describe common interpersonal transactions and protocols.
- Identify and discuss components of the Arabic culture.
- Modern Standard Arabic Alphabet
- Identify and read characters of the alphabet
- Write one-letter particles using the Arabic writing system
- Reproduce Arabic sounds and pronounce words
- Discuss oral communication from in-person sources, video and audiotapes
- Grammatical Structures
- Basic sentence structure
- Common verbs
- Possessive pronouns
- Definite article
- Subject pronouns
- Non-human plural agreement
- Noun phrase
- Interpersonal Transactions
- Courtesy phrases and formal and informal address
- Descriptions of people, places, and things,
- Calendar and time functions
- Self and family descriptions
- Education and school contexts
- Daily activities
- Expressing likes and dislikes
- Cultural Contexts
- Historical contexts
- Geographical contexts
- Social interactions
- Arabic dialects
Full Academic Year 2018/19
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)