Apr 22, 2024  
2024-2025 College Catalog 
2024-2025 College Catalog

Admissions, Registration and Records

Admission to the College

Pima Community College (PCC) encourages all individuals to further their education. No person will be denied admission to, or registration for courses at the College on the basis of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.

Some programs at the College have special admissions requirements. Admission to some specific degree or certificate programs cannot be guaranteed. Additionally, there are other programs for which students need to apply separately. For information on some of these programs, please contact the program directly:

Workforce Development and Continuing Education
District Office 520-206-6569
Adult Basic Education for College and Career (ABECC)
Downtown Campus 520-206-7330
Center for Transportation Training
6680 S. Country Club Road 520-206-2744

Eligibility for Admission

All individuals who complete the Application for Admission are admitted to the College, issued a student identification number, and assigned an admission classification based on their intent. Admission to the College does not guarantee admission to a specific degree program or to all courses offered by the College.

I. Admission Classification for Credit Students

The College designates three classifications for credit admission in order to comply with federal regulations and state statutes, and to facilitate College reporting; the three classifications are Degree-Seeking, Non-Degree Seeking and International. Students in any credit classification are eligible to take any credit course for which they meet the prerequisite(s).

  1. Classification as Degree-Seeking

Students who are degree- or certificate-seeking and who fall within one of the following categories pursuant to ARS 15-1805.01 and ARS 15-1821 are classified as Degree-Seeking:

  1. Is a graduate of a high school that is accredited by a regional accrediting association as defined by the United States office of education or approved by a state board of education or other appropriate state educational agency;
  2. Has a high school certificate of equivalency;
  3. Is a transfer student in good standing from another college or university;
  4. Is a homeschooled student at least 18 years of age;
  5. Demonstrates evidence of potential success at Pima Community College as outlined in the College’s placement evaluation process (AP 3.12.01);
  6. Is under the age of 18 and who achieves one of the following:
    1. A passing score on the relevant portions of the Arizona Instrument to Measure Standards test;
    2. The completion of a college placement test designated by the community college district that indicates the student is at the appropriate college level for the course
    3. Is a graduate of a private or public high school or has a high school equivalency diploma.
    4. Is a homeschooled student and provides supporting documentation that meets state standards.
  1. Classification as Non-Degree Seeking

Students who intend to take credit classes (for personal interest, skill development, high school dual enrollment, upgrading job skills, or for transfer toward a degree at another institution), and who do not intend to pursue a degree or certificate at Pima Community College are classified as Non-Degree Seeking.

  1. Classification as International

Students from other countries attending Pima Community College on a visa are classified as International.


High school completion (or equivalency) as a factor of FA eligibility:

  1. Procedures for the Validation of High School Completion

Students may submit official high school transcripts that contain evidence of completion

Students also may self-certify their high school completion status on the Pima admission application or through their MyPima portal after applying for admission.  High school completion must be validated by Pima Community College if:

  • The institution has reason to believe that a high school transcript/diploma is not valid or was not obtained from an entity that provides secondary school education {34 C.F.R § 668.16 (p)}

  • The institution has reason to believe the high school transcript/diploma is dubious—e.g., the college knows the student bought the diploma or transcript and was required to perform little or no work

Pima Community College will review the validity of high school completion if:

  • Conflicting information is presented between the admission application (Student Information System) and the information provided on the FAFSA. 
  • College staff has reason to believe that a high school transcript/diploma is not valid or was not obtained from an entity that provides secondary school education 
  • College staff has reason to believe the high school transcript/diploma is dubious—e.g., the college knows the student bought the diploma or transcript and was required to perform little or no work 
  • College staff have become aware of a school or educational provider with a judgment or adverse judicial finding based on fraudulent or insufficient accreditation 
  • External entities inquire about the acceptance of credentials from a provider by the college for admission or financial aid purposes

If the institution has reason to believe that the high school transcript/diploma is not valid or was not obtained from an entity that provides secondary school education, the following procedure will be followed:

  • Pima Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships (OFAS) places a requirement to produce a high school diploma or official transcript validating completion.  This requirement prevents Title IV aid from being awarded to the student until the discrepancy is resolved.
  • The student receives a communication notification on how to resolve the discrepancy, directing them to upload either a high school diploma or an official high school transcript to the Registrar Office.
    • If a student is found to have identified an invalid provider as the high school completion provider, the student will receive an email communication and checklist requirement in the student management system informing them that although they have been admitted they have provided conflicting information that must be resolved.
  • Documentation review will be conducted by the Registrar Office.  Student record will be noted and the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will satisfy the requirement if acceptable documentation has been presented.
    • High School Diploma or transcript - Review for Registrar signature, secure delivery, secure paper, etc.
    • GED - access state education database to validate completion.
    • Homeschool - Review for proper components per ARS.

The Registrar Office and Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will meet monthly to review internal processes for continuous improvement purposes.


II. Admission Classification for Non-Credit Students

Students pursuing non-credit, Adult Education, Workforce or community education courses are classified as Non-Credit.

Admission of Adult Education Students

In accordance with A.R.S. 15-232, all Adult Basic Education students in Arizona must show documentation that they are lawfully present in the United States to be eligible to participate in state-funded Adult Basic Education classes. The Arizona Department of Education collects data each June and December regarding “the total number of adults who applied for instruction and the total number of adults who were denied instruction under this section because the applicant was not a citizen or legal resident of the United States or was not otherwise lawfully present in the United States.”

Admission of Under Age 18 Students


No student under the age of 18 will be denied admission to the College because of age, lack of high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma, grade in school, lack of permission of school officials, or lack of concurrent enrollment in a public or private school, provided that the general parameters have been met to assess student preparedness. Admission to the College does not guarantee admission to a specific degree program or to all courses offered by the College.

Details of requirements for students under the age of 18 are identified in the previous section. For students under the age of 16, additional requirements to register for classes are specified below.

Registration of Students Under Age 16

Pima Community College strives to provide quality instruction and support for all students taking post-secondary level courses. In accordance with ARS 15-1805.01 and ARS 15-1821, PCC has adopted an admissions policy for underage students. These students have the same rights and same responsibilities as any other college student, except as noted here and in applicable College policies. Because the student is a minor, each underage student and her/his parent/guardian are required to review and sign an agreement accepting responsibility for the decision to enroll.  Refer to the Underage Student Enrollment Application & Agreement for additional details. 

Federal Financial Aid Eligibility: Underage students are not eligible for federal financial aid until they complete high school, obtain a High School Equivalency Diploma, or become 18 years of age and are no longer in high school.

Academic Freedom in College: Course content and discussion are subject to faculty academic freedom and student rights of free speech. Topics may emerge which the student/parent may not consider age appropriate. If the student or parent is not comfortable with an assignment or classroom discussion, the faculty member is not required to substitute an alternate activity or graded exercise.

Grading: The grade received by the student is part of the student’s permanent post-secondary academic record and may affect the student’s eligibility for college scholarships or freshman/first-time status at other institutions of higher education.

Student Support Services: Although the student will have equal access to all academic support services offered to the student body, the College does not provide additional resources specifically for underage students. For more information, go to https://pima.edu/student-resources/counseling/index.html

FERPA: The student’s academic record (grades, registration information, progress, etc. in class) cannot be accessed by the parent without a written release, signed by the student. For more information, go to https://pima.edu/student-resources/student-policies-complaints/ferpa/index.html.

Faculty communication: The faculty member will provide standard updates on academic progress directly to the student. This may include graded homework, graded test papers, etc. In a college environment, attendance records are not provided as a measure of progress and faculty do not provide written or personal/telephone summaries during the semester.

Admission of International Students

Admission for all international students is through the Center for International Education and Global Engagement located at the West Campus. For further information, call 520-206-6732 or visit https://pima.edu/admission/apply-to-pima/international-program/index.html.

  1. International students intending to pursue full-time study must submit the following documents to the Center for International Education and Global Engagement to satisfy admission requirements. Necessary forms are available at the Center for International Education and Global Engagement or online.
    1. A completed International Student Application Form verifying program of study, academic history and language proficiency information.
    2. A completed Affidavit of Support, along with a bank statement or bank certification, verifying availability of funds in the amount required.
    3. Proof of health insurance coverage. This requirement is met by enrolling in the student health insurance plan provided by PCC. Students who are under the sponsorship of their government or an agency that is responsible for their educational expenses, including medical coverage may waive the student health insurance plan provided by the College.
    4. A copy of their passport showing validity for at least six (6) months.
    5. All admissions requirements are pursuant to Title 8 of Code of Federal Regulations.
  2. International student applicants must submit the following to satisfy admissions requirements in addition to those listed above (student who is applying for part-time admission and is in the United States on an active non-immigrant visa status that is not F-1 and eligible for study in the United States):
    1. A completed International Student Application Form verifying program of study, academic history and language proficiency information.
    2. A copy of the current I-94, either from the applicant’s passport or the United States Department of Homeland Security website.
    3. A copy of the visa page from the applicant’s passport.

International student applicants under the age of 18 should be informed of the College’s recommendation that they have a “guardian” in the United States to represent them in emergency situations since the College is not permitted to act in the place of the parent or guardian.

Once accepted, all international students must comply with the appropriate immigration standards and regulations.

Persons on other non-immigrant visas may be allowed to enroll in part-time course work in accordance with immigration policy.

Border Commuter Students

In compliance with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations, a border commuter student is a national of Canada or Mexico who is admitted to the United States as an F-1 nonimmigrant student to enroll in a full course of study, albeit on a part-time basis, in an approved school located within 75 miles of a United States land border. A border commuter student must maintain an actual residence and place of abode in the student’s country of nationality, and seek admission to the United States at a land border port-of-entry.

Part-time border commuter students are not admitted for “duration of status,” but rather “until a date certain.” Regulations require the DSO to “specify a completion date on the Form 1-20 that reflects the actual semester or term dates for the commuter student’s current term of study,” and issue a new Form I-20 “for each new semester or term that the commuter student attends at the school.” The date-certain for which the students are admitted would be based on the end date of each I-20.

Student Residency Requirements

For tuition purposes, students must indicate their residency status when applying for admission. Legal residency will be determined by the College before registration and payment of fees for any semester or session. Students will be notified of their residency status via their admission letter sent to their Pima email address and their MyPima student portal. Review this information carefully before registering. If you believe it is incorrect, visit a campus Student Services Center for assistance. It is the student’s responsibility to register under the correct residency status. 

Residency is determined as of the first day of the session in which a student is enrolling. The guidelines to determine residency status are taken from the Arizona Revised Statute section 15-1801 through 15-1807. For questions about these guidelines, or for help determining residency status, please visit the Residency Requirements website https://pima.edu/admission/apply-to-pima/residency.html or contact a campus Student Services Center. 


Residency Determination and the Domicile/Residency Affidavit

Arizona residency requirements can be divided into three areas:

  1. Physical Presence
    ​A person may be eligible for classification as a resident if that person can provide clear and convincing evidence of physical presence in the state of Arizona with the intent to establish a domicile for 12 full months preceding the official start date of the semester of enrollment.
  2. Intent to establish a domicile
    ​Intent is measured by a variety of evidence, but the following may be required to provide clear and convincing evidence for establishing a domicile:
    1. Arizona driver’s license
    2. Arizona motor vehicle registration
    3. Filing of Arizona state income taxes
    4. Filing of Federal tax forms as an Arizona resident
    5. Arizona voter registration
    6. Lease/Rental agreement
    7. Purchase of primary residence in Arizona
    8. Employment verification
  3. Financial independence/dependence
    ​A person applying for classification as a resident must prove financial independence from out-of-state parents, or dependence on in-state parents, for the entire domicile year. A person may be financially independent if:
    1. They were not claimed as a tax dependent by out-of-state parents for any portion of the domicile year;
    2. They did not receive more than one-half of their financial support from out-of-state parents during the domicile year;
    3. They were self-supporting for the entire domicile year; and/or
    4. Receiving financial aid, filed as an independent student, as defined per Federal financial aid guidelines.

A person may be financially dependent if:

  1. They were claimed as a tax dependent by an in-state resident parent for any portion of the domicile year;
  2. They received more than one-half of their financial support from in-state resident parents during the domicile year;
  3. They were not self-supporting for the entire domicile year; and/or
  4. They received financial aid as a dependent student, with in-state resident parents.

To petition for a change in your residency classification you must respond to all questions and statements on the Residency Correction Form and provide documentation supporting your request for residency change. You must:

  1. Complete a Residency Correction Form. The form is available at https://www.pima.edu/admission/apply-to-pima/docs/residency-correction-form.pdf
  2. Provide proof that you resided in Arizona for at least one year prior to the start date of the semester for which you are applying, or qualify for a recognized exception.
  3. Provide proof that you have taken steps to establish permanent residency in Arizona.

Failure to do so by the start date of the term in which you applied will by interpreted as evidence of not establishing residency in Arizona. As indicated by the Arizona residency regulations, the burden of proof that all requirements for residency classification have been met rests with the student. Clear and convincing evidence must be submitted by you to support all responses given on your Residency Correction form.

All statements, information, and evidence provided on your form must be consistent with other College/official documents. Inconsistencies may jeopardize your request for residency and subject you to disciplinary action, dismissal from the College, repayment of tuition, and repayment of financial aid.

Change in residency is not automatic. You must complete the form and turn it in with accompanying documentaion to a campus Student Services Center or submit electronically via your MyPima student portal.

Verification of Lawful Presence

Since March 12, 2007, PCC students seeking in-state tuition have been required to complete a one-time Verification of Lawful Presence Form. This enables the College to comply with state law.

All new and continuing students seeking in-state tuition and registering for credit classes, who have not previously had their lawful presence verified by the College, must complete the form and provide documentation. Once completed, you won’t need to file again while at PCC.

You have 10 days from the date of admission to complete and submit the form. If you do not complete and submit the form within this time period, a hold will be placed on your student account record. You will not be able to view your grades or receive a transcript until the form is processed. You must provide documentation to support your application. Acceptable documents are listed on the Verification of Lawful Presence Form.

This form must be submitted either in person or via the MyPima Student Portal. Bring the form and required documentation to a campus Student Services Center or submit electronically. The form is available at https://pima.edu/admission/apply-to-pima/lawful-presence.html.

You may contact the Registrar Office with questions by email at: registrar@pima.edu

Assignment of Student Identification Number and Use of Social Security Number

Pima Community College assigns all new students a student identification number. PCC does not use your Social Security numbers for student identification numbers.

Pima Community College requests the Social Security numbers of all students who are U.S. citizens, Resident Aliens, or noncitizens (who have been issued a Social Security number) on the Application for Admission to match current and future records, ensuring that students receive full credit for all academic work. All local, state and federal student financial aid applications, and forms for College employment require student Social Security numbers.

Note: You must provide your Social Security number in the event the College is required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to file a form 1098-T Tuition Statement.

Before the First Semester

Student requirements for taking the placement tests, meeting with an advisor and registering for classes.


Evaluation of a student’s skill level in English, mathematics, reading and writing is essential for proper placement in courses and programs at the College. The College utilizes two methods to determine placement, Multiple Measures and Accuplacer placement tests. Students who are required to take the Accuplacer placement tests must start with the pre-placement tutorial in MyPima, under the New Students tab. Students are strongly encouraged to prepare for the tests. Placement tests are offered at campus Testing Centers. Arrangements for qualified disabled students (such as extended time, large print, writing assistants and interpreters) are available through the Access and Disability Resources office.

Special Accommodations

Special accommodations, such as extended time, large print, writing assistants and interpreters, are available for qualified disabled students through the Access and Disability Resources office. For more information, please refer to the Access and Disability Resources section.

Other Testing Services

For students without a high school diploma, PCC offers the GED® (General Education Development) test to earn a High School Equivalency (HSE) diploma. Students take the test on a computer at an authorized testing center. The test is offered in English and Spanish. For GED® test information, locations and hours visit www.GED.com or, call 520-206-7330. Additionally, the institutional TOEFL (Test of English as a Second Language) is available at the West Campus Testing Center and an authorized Pearson VUE Test Center located at Downtown Campus Testing Center provides many exams for workforce certification, including K-12 Teacher, Medical Assistance, Pharmacy Technician, Paramedics, CompTIA and others. Visit www.pearsonvue.com or the exam sponsor for more information and scheduling.


Students are strongly encouraged to meet with an advisor or counselor on a regular basis, but not less than once per semester, to discuss short and long term academic goals, financial aid options, major and semester course planning, career planning, academic workload and life balancing.

Advising Resources for Students

All students are urged to make use of MyDegreePlan, the College Catalog, the online class schedules, Student Success & Registration Guide, and the Student Handbook when selecting courses or developing an educational plan. These resources are available at a Student Services Center. MyDegreePlan is available for all active students through their MyPima student account.

Registration Sessions

New Student Registration Sessions are designed to help students succeed in college, and are highly recommended. Registration Sessions cover the necessary information about programs, services, university transfer, study skills and registration. Each campus provides a schedule for the upcoming semester. Registration Sessions are offered at a variety of times, dates, and in many formats. All degree- and certificate-seeking students new to higher education are required to complete a New Student Registration Session prior to their first semester of taking credit courses. A student may, with the permission of an advisor or counselor, enroll in a designated Student Success course in place of attending a Registration Session. Visit https://www.pima.edu/admission/connect-u-orientation/index.html or contact a Student Services Center for more information.

Declaring a Program of Study

Advising staff and counselors are available at the campuses and online to help students choose the right program of study, which may affect eligibility for graduation, financial aid, and veterans’ educational benefits. Visit https://www.pima.edu/academics-programs/degrees-certificates/program-of-study/index.html for more information.

Transfer of Credits into PCC

Students who have taken classes at another college or university may transfer the credits to Pima Community College. The College may accept class credit (with a grade of C, its equal, or better) from colleges and universities accredited by any of the following regional accreditation commissions:

  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.
  • The Higher Learning Commission
  • Northwest Commission on Schools, Colleges and Universities
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges

Pima Community College will also consider international transcripts that have been evaluated by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or member agency of the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO).

To transfer credits to Pima Community College, the student must:

  • Be admitted to Pima Community College
  • Request an official transcript from the institution(s) previously attended be sent to PCC’s Registrar Office:
    • Official paper transcript should be mailed to 4905B E. Broadway, Suite 220, Tucson, AZ 85709-1120
    • Official and secure electronic transcripts should be sent to Registrar@pima.edu.
  • The student will be notified when the transcript has been received.

Military Servicemembers Opportunity College

Pima Community College is an institutional member of Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC). The SOC is a group of more than 400 college and universities that willingly provide post-secondary (after high school) education to members of the military throughout the world. As a member of the SOC, the College recognizes the unique nature of the military lifestyle.

General Education Mobile (GEM)

Pima Community College is a General Education Mobile (GEM) participating institution. GEM allows active-duty Air Force students to complete their 15-hour Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) General Education Course requirements online through Pima Community College and the General Education Mobile program (GEM) site. Courses are offered in five CCAF general education areas: Oral Communication, Written Communication, Mathematics, Social Sciences and Humanities. For more information, visit https://pima.edu/academics-programs/specialized-programs/general-education-mobile/index.html.

Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)

Prior Learning Assessment is a way to earn credit for college-level knowledge or skills you have attained outside the traditional college classroom and have not been previously evaluated for or awarded college credit. PLA credit is not awarded for experience; it is awarded for college-level knowledge gained from experience that is equivalent to the required competencies in a PCC course. Students who apply for PLA can earn up to 75 percent of the credits required for a program of study.

PCC offers the following methods to earn credit for prior learning (NOTE: Not all courses are available in all methods, and some courses may not have any PLA options):

  • National Standardized Tests (information on this form of PLA is detailed below)
  • Challenge Exams/Assessment
  • Evaluated Military Training
  • Noncredit to Credit
  • Evaluated Industry Certificates and Training Programs
  • Portfolio Assessment

For more information, visit a campus Student Services Center to meet with an academic advisor or: https://pima.edu/academics-programs/credit-prior-learning/index.html

Enrolling in Classes

Each semester the College publishes a Student Success & Registration Guide that provides instructions on when and how to register, information on financial aid, advising, student resources, and important dates and deadlines for the upcoming semester or sessions. This guide is available at campus Student Services Centers. A list of classes offered, with the dates, times and locations of each course is available online.

There are two ways to register for classes:

  • MyPima online registration
  • Walk-in registration at campus Student Services Centers

Students can audit most credit classes with the instructor’s permission. Auditing a class means that you enroll, pay for, attend and do work for the class but do not receive credit or a grade. Audit registration must be conducted in person at a campus or district admissions office between the first day of class and the drop/refund deadline for the class. Once you begin a course for credit, you cannot change to audit status.

Student enrollment is not official for any academic term until all tuition and fees are paid.


Maximum Credit Hours Per Semester

To promote student success and retention, the College limits the number of credits in which a student can enroll each term. Students can enroll in a maximum of 18 credit hours in the fall and spring semesters and 12 credit hours in summer sessions. Enrollment beyond these limits requires approval from Student Affairs. Students are encouraged to meet with an advisor to discuss the appropriate maximum number of credits for their individual circumstances. Credits or coursework taken concurrently outside of Pima Community College should be taken into consideration. For more information, please contact a campus Student Services Center.

Course Prerequisites

Students must meet course prerequisites as stated in this catalog and class schedules, or demonstrate to the instructor their ability to take the class. If the student does not have the proper prerequisite(s) for the class the student will not be allowed to register for the class or, if the prerequisite was not successfully completed, the student may be dropped from the class.

Important Student Information

Student Rights and Responsibilities

All PCC students are considered to be responsible individuals and are accountable for their own behavior. The College expects all students to obey local, state and federal laws, and to follow the College’s Student Code of Conduct. Those standards, as well as the student complaint process, are explained online under Student Rights and Responsibilities at https://pima.edu/student-resources/student-policies-complaints/index.html.

Religious Observances

Pima Community College accommodates the religious observances and practices of students unless it will result in undue hardship to College programs. Arrangements should be made with the instructor at least two weeks in advance.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA is the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 that requires students to provide written permission for release of their grades and other information. This act was designed to protect the privacy of educational records, to establish the right of students to inspect and review their educational records, and to provide guidelines for correcting inaccurate or misleading data through informal or formal hearings.

The student’s academic record (grades, registration, progress, in class information) will not be released to a parent or guardian or third party without a signed permission release form from the student. For additional information go to our FERPA page, https://pima.edu/student-resources/student-policies-complaints/ferpa/index.html

FERPA and Emergencies

FERPA permits PCC officials to disclose education records without student consent in an emergency, including personally identifiable information from those records, to protect the health and safety of students or other individuals. At such times, records and information may be released to appropriate parties such as law enforcement or public health officials, and trained medical personnel. This exception to FERPA’s general consent rule is limited to the period of the emergency and generally does not allow for a blanket release of personally identifiable information from a student’s education records.

FERPA and Disciplinary Records

While student disciplinary records are protected as education records under FERPA, there are certain circumstances in which disciplinary records may be disclosed without the student’s consent. PCC may disclose to an alleged victim of any crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense the final results of a disciplinary proceeding conducted by PCC against the alleged perpetrator of that crime, regardless of whether the institution concluded a violation was committed. PCC may disclose to anyone - not just the victim - the final results of a disciplinary proceeding, if it determines that the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense, and with respect to the allegation made against him or her, the student has committed a violation of PCC rules or policies.

FERPA and Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)

FERPA permits PCC to comply with information requests from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and its Immigration and Customs Enforcement Bureau (ICE) in order to comply with the requirements of SEVIS. Officials who have specific questions about this and other matters involving international students should contact the U.S. Department of Education’s Family Policy Compliance Office.

FERPA and Transfer of Education Records

FERPA permits PCC officials to disclose any and all education records, including disciplinary records, to another institution at which the student seeks or intends to enroll. While student consent is not required for transferring education records, PCC’s annual FERPA notification should indicate that such disclosures are made. In the absence of information about disclosures in the annual FERPA notification, PCC officials must make a reasonable attempt to notify the student about the disclosure, unless the student initiates the disclosure.

FERPA and Directory Information

The College may disclose directory information without prior written consent, unless notified by the student in writing by the first official class meeting date of each semester.

Directory information includes:

  • Student name
  • Major field of study
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Most recent educational institution attended
  • Enrollment status (i.e. full-time, three-quarter-time, half-time, less than half-time, withdrawn, graduated or deceased)
  • College-issued email address (e.g. jdoe@mail.pima.edu)

FERPA Contact


Family Policy Compliance Office

U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Ave. S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20202-5920

Academic Reporting

Throughout the United States, colleges and universities monitor the progress students make in achieving their academic goals. PCC is pleased to provide information regarding our institution’s graduation/completion and transfer rates, in compliance with the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended. Student success information, including information about student-athletes, is available online at www.pima.edu, or call 520-206-4500 and ask to receive a copy of the Student Right to Know brochure.

Academic Policies: Grades, Academic Progress and Student Classification

Grading Policies

Grades/statuses at Pima Community College are recorded at the end of each session according to the following system:

​A - Superior = 4 grade points per credit hour

B - Above Average = 3 grade points per credit hour

C - Average = 2 grade points per credit hour

D - Below Average = 1 grade point per credit hour

F - Failure = 0 grade point per credit hour

P - Pass = “C” or better without grade differentiation ordinarily indicated by the College grading system.

I - Incomplete: A record of Incomplete as a grade will be made at the student’s request and the instructor’s option. A student receiving a grade of “I” will be provided with a standard form specifying the work necessary for completion of the course. After the student completes the work, or after the “I” deadline set by the instructor, the instructor submits a Change of Grade form to the campus Student Services Center. If no Change of Grade form is submitted within a year, the “I” will be automatically changed to “F.”

IP - Work in progress in open entry/open exit course. A record of “IP” (in progress) as a grade will be made when a student is making satisfactory progress in a course that crosses sections in start and end dates. At the specified end date of the course, the student will be assigned a grade of “A,” “B,” “C,” “D,” “F,” “I,” “P,” or “W.”

W - Withdrawal: A status of Withdrawal is assigned in one of the following ways:

  1. The student officially withdraws from the class after the drop deadline and on or before the 67% point of the term which is the official withdrawal date.
  2. The instructor records a “W” as part of the 45th day reporting, if appropriate.
  3. A Student Affairs administrator processes an Administrative Withdrawal after the official withdrawal date if requested by the student and only if an exceptional circumstance outside the student’s control prevented the student from completing the class.

PLA - Prior Learning Assessment: “PLA” indicates the grade was earned through prior learning assessment.

AU - Audit: To audit a class means to enroll in and to attend a class without working for or expecting to receive credit. The symbol for audit, “AU,” appears on the academic transcript and on the class enrollment list by the student’s name. Students auditing a class must register by the end of the official refund period and must receive the written permission of the instructor.

Grade Point Average (GPA) Calculation

The GPA is figured by multiplying the number of credit hours for each class by the number of points for the grade given and dividing the sum of the points by the total number of credit hours of “A,” “B,” “C,” “D” and “F” grades. The GPA is based only on work completed at Pima Community College. 

Grade Reports

Grades are viewable on the student’s MyPima Academics tab. 

Appeal of Grades

To challenge a grade, a student must do so through a formal process. Please refer to https://pima.edu/student-resources/student-policies-complaints/complaint-processes/index.html.

Course Repeat Grades

The higher of two grades earned for the same class will be used to figure the GPA. The higher of the two grades will be included (I) and the other will be excluded (E). Both courses will appear on the student’s transcript (special courses that are repeated more than twice may not fall under this guideline.) 

Standards of Academic Progress for Credit Students

Good Academic Standing

To have Good Academic Standing, a student must complete the minimum academic requirements, maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 and have a completion rate of 67 percent. Completion rates are calculated by dividing the number of credits a student attempts by the number of credits they have completed. Withdrawals and retakes are included in this calculation. Satisfactory Academic Progress will be assessed by the institution at the end of each semester.

Academic Warning

The first semester a student falls below a 2.0 GPA and 67 percent completion rate, the student will be placed on Academic Warning. Veteran Benefit Recipients (VBRs) and Financial Aid eligible students (FAES) are eligible to use benefits while on Warning.

Academic Probation

Any student on Academic Warning whose GPA remains below 2.0 and 67 percent completion rate, will be placed on Academic Probation. VBR’s must meet with their veteran advisor. VBR’s are eligible to use VA benefits while on Probation. FAES are only eligible to use their aid if an appeal has been approved by Financial Aid.

Academic Restriction

In any subsequent semester following Academic Probation where the GPA remains below 2.0, the student will be placed on Academic Restriction. During Academic Restriction, students are limited in the total amount of credit hours they are allowed to take per semester until they’ve achieved a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher. Full-year programs and selective programs require faculty approval.

Academic Extension

In any subsequent semester following either Academic Probation or Restriction a student has a term GPA of 2.0 but does not yet meet the cumulative requirements (2.0 and 67 percent completion rate) will be placed on Academic Extension. Academic Extension is for the student who is making progress towards graduation on a term-to-term basis. VBR’s are eligible to use VA benefits while on Extension. FAES are only eligible to use their aid if an appeal has been approved by Financial Aid.

Veteran Benefit Recipient (VBR) Standards of Academic Progress (SAP) Appeals:

  • If you failed to maintain Academic Good Standing due to unforeseeable extenuating circumstances you may appeal your loss of VA benefit eligibility. For further information see the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Information/Form.
  • Students have a right to appeal their SAP status through the Military and Veteran Services Appeal Committee.
  • If your SAP appeal is denied you can only re-appeal if you have extenuating circumstances and/or documentation that you did not include with your initial appeal submission. Only one appeal is permitted for the same semester the student has not met SAP 
  • All students who submit an appeal must meet with their Veteran Advisor to develop an academic plan and agree to adhere to all associated requirements. 
  • If your appeal has been approved, you must adhere to the associated academic plan during any semester you are on SAP probation. Your probation will continue to be extended as long as significant academic progress continues or until you are back in good academic standing. 
  • Students are eligible to use Veterans Educational Benefits during the extended Probation period.
  • Students with an approved appeal will remain on SAP probation until they achieve good academic standing provided they make significant academic progress each semester. Failure to show academic progress will result in suspension of Veteran Educational Benefits. 
  • If a student has not met Satisfactory Academic Progress and/or their appeal has been denied, their eligibility to use Veteran Educational Benefits will be suspended for all subsequent classes. If the appeal is approved the courses will be retroactively certified. 
  • The Veteran Services Office will review the student’s progress at the end of the probationary semester to determine if the terms of the academic plan have been met. 
  • If a student leaves PCC on probation and returns they will remain on probation until Satisfactory Academic Progress has been met or eligibility is suspended. 
  • The committee’s decision is final and may not be appealed because the student disagrees with the decision.

Veteran Benefit Recipient (VBR) Academic Improvement Plan Requirements:

In order for Veterans Educational Benefits to be reinstated after suspension, the student must provide to their veteran advisor:

  • A statement describing actions taken to ensure Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Maintain satisfactory evaluations and attendance
  • Student may not change their program of study without the consent and counsel of their assigned veteran advisor.
  • Veteran Educational Benefits will be suspended if the student does not adhere to the Academic Improvement Plan and does not meet SAP Standards.

Academic Fresh Start Program

The Academic Fresh Start program allows a one-time forgiveness of up to 30 failed credits (grades of “D” or “F” only), from no more than four academic semesters. To be considered eligible, students must have completed their courses at least three years prior to the submission of the request. All grades representing the student’s academic history will remain on the student’s academic record (transcript). All academic Fresh Start approved courses will be excluded from the calculation of the grade point average (GPA). Academic Fresh Start does not change the status of a previously earned degree or certificate.

Since the student’s complete record of academic history (before and after Academic Fresh Start) remains on the transcript, other institutions may consider all classes when a student transfers or applies to a professional or graduate-level program.

  • Veteran Benefit Recipient’s must consult with their veteran advisor prior to applying for Fresh Start.
  • Academic fresh start or credit forgiveness does not apply to federal student aid eligibility. All credits taken will be considered when determining academic progress toward federal student aid eligibility.

Satisfactory Academic Progress for International Students

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services/U.S. Department of Homeland Security require schools to have and enforce standards of academic progress for international students. If a student has extenuating circumstances that prevented successful course completion, he/she should discuss their situation with a PCC International Student Advisor. The following pertains to PCC F-1 students only:

  1. The law requires that international students meet the College’s Standards of Academic Progress (SAP). SAP will be reviewed at the end of every semester. Withdrawals and incomplete grades are considered attempted but not completed credits. Repeated classes in which a passing grade has already been earned are not applicable towards full-time enrollment status.
    1. An international student will be placed on Warning or Probation in accordance with the College’s SAP. Students on Warning or Probation must meet with an International Student Advisor to develop a Learning Agreement.
    2. Failure to meet SAP for three consecutive semesters or falling below full-time enrollment at any point during the semester without prior authorization from the Center for International Education and Global Engagement (CIEGE) will result in a terminated I-20 Form.
    3. Once an I-20 Form has been terminated for failure to maintain SAP, the student must immediately leave the United States as immigration regulations provide no grace period.

Instructions for submitting an International Warning/Probation Appeal:

  • Submit the following to the Center for International Education and Global Engagement (CIEGE)
  • A typed and signed personal statement explaining the circumstances contributing to your inability to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. You must address all unsuccessful courses and how your circumstances have changed.
  • Documentation to support your statement. Your appeal will be denied if documentation is not provided or is insufficient to prove your circumstances.
  • Appeals are reviewed by CIEGE within 3-5 business days. You will be informed of the decision through your PCC email account. All decisions are final.

Student Classification and Standing

Pima Community College students will be classified using the following criteria:

Full-Time Student

Students actively enrolled for 12 or more credit hours during fall, spring or summer semesters will be classified as full-time students

3/4-Time Student

Students actively enrolled for 9 to 11.99 credit hours during fall, spring or summer semesters will be classified as 3/4-time students. 

1/2-Time Student

Students actively enrolled for 6 to 8.99 credit hours during fall, spring or summer semesters will be classified as 1/2-time students. 

Less than 1/2-Time Student

Students actively enrolled for .01 to 5.99 credit hours during fall, spring or summer semesters will be classified as less than 1/2-time students.  


Students who have earned fewer than 30 semester hours of credit will be considered freshmen.


Students who have earned 30 or more semester hours of credit will be considered sophomores.

Attendance Policy

Class Attendance and Participation

PCC recognizes that attending college, whether you are a new or continuing student, can be both exciting and challenging. However, your regular attendance and active participation contribute not only to your academic success and standing but may have a significant impact on your ability to receive Federal Financial Aid and Veterans Benefits.

Tracking Attendance and/or Participation in Credit Classes

The College tracks credit class attendance and notifies students if their attendance record might jeopardize their success, aid and/or benefits. The College must make adjustments in Veterans Benefits and Federal Financial Aid when a student drops a class and/or when a student no longer attends or actively participates. These adjustments may result in students owing funds to the College, the U.S. Department of Education, and/or the Veterans Administration.

What you need to know:

  • Prior to the drop deadline, you must attend and/or actively participate in your class(es). The drop date can be found in your syllabus. If you do not attend and/or actively participate by the drop deadline you will be dropped from that class and a refund will be issued.
  • After the drop deadline, if you are registered but not attending and/or actively participating for 14 days, your status will be changed to RN, Registered - Not Attending, for the class and you may be issued a withdrawal by the instructor. You will receive a notification from the College indicating that you are in an RN registration status.
  • Failure to complete courses for which you register, and or receiving withdrawal or failing grades, will impact your academic standing with the College.

What can you do:

  • See your syllabus and/or contact your instructor to find out how attendance and/or active participation are defined for your class(es).
  • Contact your instructor if you have to miss a class.
  • If you receive an RN notification and plan to continue in the class:

- check the attendance policy for your class and see your instructor
- return to class and/or resume active participation

  • If you receive an RN notification and do not plan to continue in the class, contact an advisor or counselor about withdrawing from the class.
  • If you have questions about your aid or benefits, contact the Financial Aid Office at 520-206-4950 or fahelp@pima.edu or contact your assigned Veterans advisor found in the Veterans tab of MyPima.
  • Contact a campus Student Services Center for further information about registration statuses, attendance, withdrawing and academic success resources.

National Standardized Tests

Credits earned through this process:

  • may or may not transfer to other colleges or universities-exams are re-evaluated upon transfer to another institution so students planning to transfer should check with the transfer institution to determine if and how credits are awarded
  • do not fulfill the requirement of completing 15 credits at PCC
  • cannot be used in qualifying a student for veterans’ education benefits
  • are not eligible for financial assistance
  • are awarded a grade of “TP” and will not be stated in terms of a specific course grade. No record is made of failing scores.
  • have a limit of 30 credits
  • are reviewed annually by the respective discipline faculty

Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Cambridge International Exams (CIE) Programs

Taking AP, IB or CIE courses in high school can accelerate a student’s college career. Credits earned based on exam performance may be counted toward a certificate or degree. Contact a Pima Community College advisor to confirm course credit toward specific programs.

College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) and Dantes (DSST)

CLEP and DSST offer a means by which students can obtain college credits without having to enroll formally in the courses. Pima Community College accepts certain CLEP and DSST for college credit, providing satisfactory scores are attained. Students must pay a registration service fee and an examination fee for each test. For further information on CLEP tests please see the Challenge Exams page on the PCC website.

Exam Equivalency

Advanced Placement (AP)  

Cambridge International Exams (CIE)  

College Level Exam Equivalency (CLEP)  

DANTES Standardized Tests (DSST)  

International Baccalaureate (IB)          

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial Aid and Scholarships General Information

Many forms of aid can help fund your college education. Please see the Types of Aid on the PCC website or contact us to discuss options on how you can fund your college education. For other information regarding the process please visit our Financial Aid and Scholarships webpage or the Student Financial Aid Handbook.

Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Students receiving federal student aid, such as Pell Grant and federal student loans have additional and separate policies and requirements regarding their Academic Standing. More Information is available on our Satisfactory Academic Progress webpage.

Dropping or Withdrawing and Financial Aid

If you receive financial aid and withdraw from all active Title IV (federal student aid) eligible courses at Pima, you may not have earned the financial aid you received. Any unearned funds must be returned. Please note that Pima Community College will bill you for any unearned funds that we have to return to federal programs due to the required Return of Title IV (R2T4) calculation. More Information is available on our Dropping or Withdrawing and Financial Aid webpage. 


Distance Education/Online Students Outside the State of Arizona

Distance Education students residing outside the state of Arizona who have completed PCC’s internal institutional grievance process may appeal non-instructional complaints to the Arizona Community College Coordinating Council (AC4) at https://arizonacommunitycolleges.org/

The Arizona SARA Council has jurisdiction over Arizona SARA-approved institutions regarding non-instructional complaints for distance education students. Upon completion of the institution’s and AC4’s complaint process, a student may register a complaint with the Arizona SARA Council.