Learn techniques to alleviate chronic pain, reduce stress, strengthen the immune system, and promote healing through therapeutic massage. Program includes clinical practice in a professional atmosphere and prepares students for the national therapeutic massage and bodywork exam and state licensure.
Before enrolling in this program, you must meet certain requirements.
- Be at least eighteen years old.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- Attend a Therapeutic Massage Program orientation session.
- Complete advising session with Therapeutic Massage faculty.
- Submit application form by due date.
- Complete health declaration, immunizations, drug screening and fingerprinting.
- Obtain an Arizona DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card.
- Be able to perform a number of physical activities in the clinical portion of the program. At a minimum, students will be required to lift patients, stand for several hours at a time and perform bending activities. Students must be able to lift, carry, set up and take down massage tables and chairs. The clinical experience also places students under considerable mental and emotional stress as they undertake responsibilities and duties impacting clients’ wellness. Students must be able to demonstrate rational and appropriate behavior in day-to-day situations and under stressful conditions. Students will be required to receive massage which results in increased local and systemic circulation, increased venous return, relaxed muscles and overall relaxation. Individuals should give careful consideration to the mental and physical demands of the program prior to making application.
- Present proof of immunization or immunity for MMR/Varicella/Hep-B.
- Show proof of negative TB skin test or negative chest x-ray for TB.
- Pass a urine toxicology screening exam.
- Maintain health insurance and a CPR card at the Health Care Provider Level throughout the program.
- Complete prerequisite coursework with a grade of C or better prior to entry into the Massage Therapy Practice courses.
What can I do with this certificate?
Career Options: Work as a massage therapist in a variety of wellness, medical and corporate facilities, on cruise ships or as a private practitioner.
Gainful Employment Information: www.pima.edu/ge-crttma
Lead Faculty: 520-206-2263
Conditional Enrollment Program:
You will be eligible to enroll in TMA courses once you have completed the requirement listed above and the Department has authorized your enrollment. See the program director or advisor for more information.
Conditional Program/Major Codes: CRTTMA/9TMC