Oct 05, 2022
HIT 102 - CPT Coding 2 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
1 lecture period 3 lab periods
Introduction to principles and application of Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) Coding System. Includes overview of CPT and CPT coding. Also includes the following CPT sections: Anesthesia, Evaluation and Management, Medicine, Radiology, Surgery, and Pathology and Laboratory.
Recommendation: Completion of HIT 105 and BIO 160IN . If any recommended course is taken, see a financial aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Explain the history, purpose, and structure of CPT Coding System.
- Explain the organization, format, and Guidelines of the CPT code.
- Apply principles and applications of CPT to CPT coding.
- Discuss the history, purpose and structure of the CPT Coding System.
- Explain the organization, format, content and Guidelines of the CPT Evaluation and Management section and subsections and assign CPT evaluation and management service codes for patient care.
- Explain the organization, format, content and Guidelines of the CPT Anesthesia section and subsections and assign CPT Anesthesia codes.
- Explain the CPT Surgery Section organization, format, content and Section Guidelines.
- Assign CPT Surgery codes from each Surgery Section and subsection.
- Explain the organization, format, content and Guidelines of the CPT Radiology section and subsections and assign CPT Radiology codes.
- Explain the organization, format, content and Guidelines of the CPT Pathology and Laboratory section and subsections and assign CPT Pathology and Laboratory codes.
- Explain the organization, format, content and Guidelines of the CPT Medicine section and subsections and assign CPT Medicine codes.
- Introduction to CPT Coding
- History and overview
- Organization of CPT
- Index, appendices and symbols
- Sections, subsections, categories, and subcategories
- CPT modifiers
- The National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI)
- CPT Evaluation and Management (E/M)
- Overview of the E/M section
- E/M section guidelines
- Levels of E/M services, categories and subcategories
- Assigning CPT E/M service codes
- CPT Anesthesia
- Overview of the anesthesia section
- Anesthesia section guidelines, notes and modifiers
- Assigning CPT anesthesia service codes
- CPT Surgery
- Overview of the surgery section
- Organization, format and content of the CPT surgery section
- Surgery section guidelines and modifiers
- Surgery subsections
- Surgery Subsections Code Assignments
- General and integumentary system subsections
- Musculoskeletal and respiratory system subsections
- Cardiovascular subsection
- Hemi and lymphatic system subsections
- Mediastinum and diaphragm system subsections
- Digestive and urinary system subsections
- Male and female genital and reproductive system subsections
- Maternity care and delivery subsections
- Endocrine and nervous system subsections
- Eye, ocular adnexa and auditory subsections
- Operating microscope subsections
- CPT Radiology
- Overview of the radiology section
- Radiology section guidelines and notes
- Radiology subsections
- Assigning CPT radiology codes
- CPT Pathology and Laboratory
- Overview of the pathology and laboratory section
- Pathology and laboratory section guidelines and notes
- Pathology and laboratory subsections
- Assigning CPT pathology and laboratory codes
- CPT Medicine
- Overview of the medicine section
- Medicine section guidelines and notes
- Assigning CPT medicine codes
Full Academic Year 2021/22
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)