Feb 07, 2023
FSS 236 - Health Communication: Behavioral Change 2 Credits, 2 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Communication skills and coaching techniques for the fitness professional and health coach. Includes psychological theories, stages of change, mediators of change, creating SMART goals, and coaching practice.
Information: This course is intended for the Fitness Professional Certificate program and continuing education for fitness professionals, health and wellness coaches, personal interest, and physical education teachers.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Explain and apply different psychological theories to clients with varied backgrounds and goals.
- Identify the five (5) stages of change and apply appropriate mediators for each stage.
- Demonstrate the ability to write effective SMART goals.
- Communication and Coaching Skills
- Active listening
- Verbal and nonverbal communication
- Emotional intelligence
- Strengths-based coaching
- Stages of Change
- 5 stages
- Mediators of change at each stage
- Cognitive and behavioral processes
- Matching activities to the stage of readiness
- Psychological Theories
- Social Cognitive Theory
- Health Belief Model
- Self-Determination Theory
- Theory of Planned Behavior
- Decision-Making Theory
- Social Ecological Model
- Developing SMART goals
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)