Sep 29, 2023
MUS 111 - Exploring Music through Piano 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Keyboard application skills and music fundamentals. Includes keyboard orientation, tonality, piano proficiency, musical structure, musical texture, musical style, and global topics.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - FA or SBS; Meets - CTE - A&H.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Define fundamental musical terminology as it applies to students’ repertoire.
- Demonstrate the ability to read music.
- Perform pieces on the keyboard that reflect the styles of music explored in class.
- Demonstrate the ability to play by ear.
- Demonstrate the ability to learn music in an organized and efficient manner.
- Keyboard Orientation
- Perception in playing the piano
- Body position
- Identifying keys
- Hand position
- Finger numbers
- Rhythm and meter
- Major/minor scales
- Chords in diatonic keys
- Chord progressions
- Key signatures
- Harmonization of melodies within keys
- Piano Proficiency
- Methods of learning repertoire
- Practice methods
- Pedal uses
- Sight reading
- Musical Structure
- Basic form
- Phrase relationships
- Musical Texture
- Homophonic (melody/accompaniment style)
- Polyphonic (fugal style)
- Listening to recordings/performances of music representative of various styles
- Performing music representative of various styles
- Global Topics
- Arts in education and society
- Historical/stylistic trends
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)