Jul 05, 2022
MGT 276 - Human Resources 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Practical aspects of personnel management and support. Includes roles and concepts, acquiring human resources, administering the personnel program, developing employee potential, employee retention, equal employment opportunities, staffing and training, labor relations, and future outlook for personnel management.
Recommendation: Completion of BUS 100 before enrolling in this course. If any recommended course is taken, see a financial aid or Veteran’s Affairs advisor to determine funding eligibility as appropriate.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Distinguish the role of personnel management and the environment in which it survives.
- Write a personnel policy to include all benefits showing a cost benefit analysis.
- Create an employee selection, interview, and development system to include an upward mobility plan for all employees.
- Develop a basic program for dealing with the difficult employees and preventing and keeping grievances at the lowest level of management.
- Create an equal opportunity program to include women, minorities, and the handicapped.
- Appraise the future outlook for personnel management.
- Roles and Concepts of Personnel Management
- Evolving roles of the personnel administrator
- Personnel policy
- Human factor in personnel management
- Staff role of the personnel administrator
- Acquiring Human Resources
- Resource planning
- Testing - legal aspects of testing
- Administering the Personnel Program
- Personnel records
- Personnel research
- Interviewing and counseling skills
- Disciplinary problems
- Labor-management relations-dealing with a union
- Collective bargaining
- Administering the labor agreement
- Developing Employee Potential
- Training the operative employee
- Managerial training and development
- Special development programs-minorities, women
- Performance appraisal
- Career planning
- Maintaining the Work Force
- Compensation management
- Job evaluation
- Managerial compensation
- Benefit programs-costs
- Employee health and safety
- Future Outlook for Personnel Management
- Using professional computer technologies
- Using social media technologies
Full Academic Year 2018/2019
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)