Sep 21, 2023
MAT 106 - Elementary Data Analysis with Spreadsheets 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Introduction to statistics. Includes the collection and presentation of data, statistical measures, algebra topics, Excel topics, and data analysis topics.
Gen-Ed: Meets CTE - M&S.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Analyze data including central tendencies and variation.
- Demonstrate knowledge of various data models including line of best fit and normal distribution.
- Describe and display data using a spreadsheet.
- Distinguish between populations and samples, compare different sampling methods, and describe possible sample biases.
- Represent data in various graphical forms including histograms, pie charts and tables, and interpret information presented in graphical form.
- Set up Excel spreadsheets using formulas that reference other cells, use mathematical operations including integer exponents, and require application of the order of operations; create charts and graphs in Excel.
- Determine measures of central tendency of univariate data including means, modes, and quartile ranges.
- Determine measures of variability of central tendency of univariate data including mean absolute deviation and standard deviation.
- Define bivariate data; determine the correlation coefficient for bivariate data, and discuss issues of correlation and causation.
- Use least squares regression to determine the equation of the “line of best fit”, use the equation to estimate other data points, and discuss predictive value of regression lines.
- Discuss the impact of outliers for both univariate and bivariate data.
- Use the normal model, standard normal model, and Z-score to measure and compare data from different distribution; extend these ideas to compute a confidence interval when comparing sample and population statistics.
- Collection of Data
- Define population and sample
- Sampling techniques
- Sampling bias
- Presentation of Data
- Tables and graphs
- Interpretation of graphical data
- Excel Topics
- Review of basic operations
- Chart wizard
- Data analysis tool pack
- Measures of Central Tendency of Univariate Data
- Mean, median and mode
- Quartile ranges
- Variability of Central Tendency
- Mean absolute deviation
- Standard deviation
- Bivariate Data Measures
- Analysis of bivariate data
- Correlation coefficient
- Causation versus correlation
- Linear Regression
- Least squares regression
- Use regression line to estimate other points
- Discuss predictive abilities of regression
- Normal Curve
- Normal model and standard normal model
- Z score
- Confidence intervals
Full Academic Year 2018/2019
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)