Nov 28, 2023
JRN 101 - Introduction to Reporting and Media Writing [SUN# JRN 2201] 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Introduction to storytelling in a variety of news media contexts and platforms. Includes journalism as a career, the journalist and the organization of the newsroom, defining news, news style, elements of a news story, fundamentals of writing news, and news gathering and reporting. Also includes organizing and writing the story, revision of stories, and ethics, libel and media law.
Gen-Ed: Meets CTE - Options.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Apply news values and evaluate news coverage.
- Display news-gathering, research, note-taking, and interviewing skills.
- Apply Associated Press style in the writing of a variety of stories.
- Apply the principles of ethics and media law.
- Defining News
- News values
- Four Ws
- Roles of news media in society
- News Gathering and Reporting
- Note taking
- News Style and Writing
- AP Stylebook
- Elements of a news story
- Leads and ledes
- Spelling, punctuating, capitalization, grammar
- Inverted pyramid and hourglass
- Ethics and Media Law
- Public vs. privacy
- Freedom of Information Act
- Open meetings law
- Public’s right to know
- Reporter shield laws
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)