Dec 09, 2023
CIS 228 - Fundamentals of Network Security 3 Credits, 4 Contact Hours
2 lecture periods 2 lab periods
Introduction and general overview of security measures for computer networks. Includes authentication methods and techniques; attacks and malicious code; remote access concepts; email and web security; directory and file transfer services; and wireless protocols and security. Also includes hardware devices; topologies and security; methods of intrusion detection; establishing security baselines; introduction to cryptography; disaster recovery policies and procedures; and forensics, risk management, and auditing measures.
Prerequisite(s): CIS 119
Information: This course may help in the preparation for the CompTIA Security+ Exam.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC Options requirement; Meets CTE - Options requirement
Course Learning Outcomes
- Analyze common security failures and identify specific design principles that have been violated.
- Understand the interaction between security and system usability
- Describe which cryptographic protocols and algorithms are appropriate for a given situation.
- Evaluate how network operational procedures and procedures relate to network security.
- Explain how to utilize Federal, State and Local Cyber Defense partners/structures.
- Threats and Vulnerabilities
- Indicators of compromise
- Types of attacks
- Threat actors
- Penetration testing
- Vulnerability scanning
- Technologies and Tools
- Common hardware and software network security tools
- Security assessment
- Implement secure protocols
- Architecture and Design
- Industry standards, framework and reference architectures
- Network architecture security
- Secure systems design
- Embedded systems
- Application and development concepts
- Cloud and virtualization security
- Physical security controls
- Identity and Access Management
- Account management
- Risk Management
- Policies, plans and procedures
- Business impact analysis
- Risk management processes and concepts
- Incident response
- Disaster recovery and business continuity
- Cryptography and PKI
- Cryptography concepts
- Common algorithms
- Wireless security settings
- Public key infrastructure (PKI)
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)