Dec 09, 2023
CAD 157 - Introduction to Site Development and Design 4 Credits, 6 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 3 lab periods
Overview of site planning and design. Includes introduction to site development, applications of CAD drafting, mapping, location and direction, legal descriptions and plot plans, contour lines, details and drawings, and Geographic Information Systems.
Prerequisite(s): CAD 101 or concurrent enrollment
Information: Prerequisite may be taken concurrently for some CAD program pathways. See faculty for approval of prerequisite concurrent enrollment.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe aspects and standards for land development, site design, and civil drafting.
- Discuss strategies for sustainable sites.
- Apply CAD techniques and standards to civil design and drafting.
- Identify a variety of common mapping scales and symbols.
- Apply methods of distance measurement, location and direction.
- Draft individual parcels from legal descriptions.
- Utilize surveying fundamentals and generate elevation data.
- Develop contour lines from survey field data.
- Discuss concepts of horizontal alignment.
- Develop profiles and calculate cut and fill.
- Draft civil engineering details
- Utilize GIS databases for retrieval of project specific data.
- Introduction to Land Development
- Feasibility and site concerns
- Development standards
- Civil drafting technique
- Architectural site planning
- Landscape development
- Sustainable Sites
- Construction Activity Pollution Prevention
- Site selection
- Community Connectivity
- Brownfield redevelopment
- Alternative transportation
- Habitat and open space
- Stormwater design
- Heat island effect
- Civil Drafting
- Drawing references
- Layer usage
- Color dependent plot styles
- Location and Direction
- Methods of measurement
- Map geometry
- Azimuths and bearings
- Legal Descriptions and Plot Plans
- Metes and bounds, and description
- Maps and plats
- Types of surveys
- Survey equipment
- Contour Lines
- Creation from point data
- Horizontal Alignment
- Plan layout
- Roadway layout
- Profiles and Earthwork
- Profile leveling
- Plan and profile
- Cut and fill
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Data formats
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)