Dec 09, 2023
CHI 101 - Elementary Chinese (Mandarin) I [SUN# CHI 1101] 5 Credits, 5 Contact Hours
5 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Introduction to the Mandarin Chinese language. Includes basic phonetic system of the Chinese language, basic Chinese grammar structures, reading simple texts, basic Chinese writing and Chinese culture. Also includes a foundation in listening, speaking, reading, writing, and cultural awareness.
Gen-Ed: Meets AGEC - Options; Meets CTE A&H.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Identify the phonetic system of the Chinese language.
- Produce and use basic Chinese grammar and structure.
- Prepare simple texts written with the characters (approximately 200) in traditional or simplified form.
- Perform in written form 100-200 Chinese characters in traditional or simplified form.
- Discuss Chinese culture and topics of daily life.
- Basic Phonetic System of the Chinese Language
- Recognizing four tones
- Recognizing consonant sounds
- Recognizing vowel sounds
- Recognizing intonation
- Listening to dialogues
- Correct pronunciation
- Four tones
- Consonant sounds
- Vowel sounds
- Participating in short dialogues
- Basic Chinese Grammar Structures
- Word order in a Chinese sentence
- Sentences with an adjectival predicate
- Sentences with a verbal predicate
- “Shi” and “You” sentences
- Questions with an interrogative pronoun
- Affirmative-negative questions
- Position of adverbs and prepositions
- Numeral-measure words
- Ways of telling the time
- Order of the year, month, day and hour
- Particle “Le”
- Attributives and structural particle “De”
- Reading Simple Texts
- Recognizing basic Chinese characters
- Reading dialogues
- Texts in traditional or simplified form
- Basic Chinese Writing
- Basic Chinese characters
- Short dialogues
- Writing 100-200 characters in traditional or simplified forms
- Chinese Culture
- Simple topics of daily life
- Chinese arts, appropriate to proficiency level
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)