Sep 21, 2023
BCT 101 - Principles of Construction 3 Credits, 3 Contact Hours
3 lecture periods 0 lab periods
Introduction to the principles of construction. Includes the building delivery process, government constraints, green building and sustainable design, calculating loads and resistance factors, and composition, closing process, codes, and Green Building Certification and Award.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Discuss the building delivery process and how buildings come into being and with identification of the key players in the process.
- Describe governmental constraints on construction.
- Apply and use Green Building fundamentals, addressing sustainability and design in the Green Building Industry.
- Calculate loads, resistance, and factors that affect building.
- Classify soils and their properties, sampling, compaction, and use in the early construction phase.
- Describe the construction process followed from concept to turn over.
- Identify most materials used in the building process along with composition and best choice use.
- Demonstrate the ability to explain the closing process, from final inspection, codes, Green Building Certification, and Award.
- Overview of the Building Delivery Process
- Project delivery phase
- Pre-design phase
- Preconstruction (bid negotiation) phase
- Design phase
- Construction phase
- Contract phase
- Post Construction phase
- Design build phase
- Governmental Constraints on Construction
- Objectives of a building code
- Enforcement of a building code
- Prescriptive and performance code
- Model code
- Application of a building code
- Construction Standards
- Zoning ordinance
- Principles in practice
- Green Building Fundamentals, Sustainability, and the Building Industry
- Triple bottom line
- Environmental imperative
- Economic imperative
- Social imperative
- Sustainable Design and Green Building
- Sustainable design practices
- Benefits of sustainable designed projects
- Designing high-efficiency buildings
- References and resources
- Loads on buildings
- Dead loads
- Live loads
- Wind loads
- Factors that affect wind loads
- Roof loads
- Soils: Foundation and Basement Construction
- Classification of soils
- Soil samples and testing
- Earthwork and excavation
- Foundation systems
- Construction Building Process from Concept to Turn Over
- Site Development
- Turn Over
- Building Materials, Choice, Composition, and Specifications
- Soils for compaction
- Concrete and masonry
- Doors: interior, exterior, and garage
- Hardware including smoke and gas detection alarms
- Interior and exterior materials
- Window coverings
- Sinks, showers, and tubs
- Closing Process
- Final inspection
- Code compliance
- Green sustainable materials and building compliance for certification and award
Add to Portfolio (opens a new window)